Producing a passion
I have been teaching the Great Highland Bagpipe for the past five years, and in that time have gained an insight into the way people learn and how I should adapt my teaching style to suit the individual. I actively look for opportuities to develop a passion for traditional music in all of my students and believe that piping is an excellent introduction as it crosses the boudaries of both classical and traditional music.
Private tuition from £10 per half hour
I believe in lifelong learning and a continuous approach to self-improvement. My students have ranged from 10 years old to over 60, so whether learning to play the Great Highland Bagpipe has been on your bucket list for years, or you have only just discovered their magnificence, I can set you on the road to cultivating a new hobby and potentially a new passion. I offer tuition to all those seeking:
- graded examinations
- personal development
- or just some fun!
Lessons can be tailored to suit all requirements and all ages or skill levels are welcome. I offer the first 30 minute lesson for free and my rates are competitive thereafter. My most recent Access NI check was in January 2015 and I can produce this upon request at any lesson.
Campbell College Pipe Band
Campbell College Pipe Band was formed in 1909, and is currently one of the oldest active pipe bands in Northern Ireland. Having developed my passion for piping as a student there, I have now returned in the capacity of Band Master to ensure the continuation of this wonderful tradition.
Ashfield Boys' High School
Piping lessons take place on Monday mornings at Ashfield Boys' High School and are funded by the Ulster Scots Agency. I currently have 9 students.
Piping and Drumming lessons take place on Wednesday mornings at Wellington College Belfast and are funded by the Ulster Scots Agency. I currently have 16 students.
Ballyclare Secondary School
Piping and Drumming lessons take place on Thursday afternoons at Ballyclare Secondary School and are funded by the Ulster Scots Agency. I currently have 12 students.
Fairview Primary School
Drumming lessons take place on Thursday mornings at Fairview Primary School and are funded by the Ulster Scots Agency. I currently have 37 students.
Major Sinclair Memorial Pipe Band
The Major Sinclair Memorial Pipe Band is based in the Torrens Hall, Doagh and are the current Grade 4A World Champions. I am a Pipe Major here, focusing on the development of all of the young and not so young learners within the organisation and assisting all members with musical interpretation and technique.
- Highland Bagpipes - I have been playing the Great Highland Bagpipe for over 10 years.
- Grade 1 Pipe Bands - I currently play with Cullybackey Pipe Band in Grade 1 and have previously played with Bleary & District Pipe Band whilst in Grade 1.
- Cross Border Orchestra of Ireland - I have completed several tours with the CBOI in both Europe and America, the most recent of which seen us play in Carnegie Hall.
- National Youth Pipe Band of Scotland - I played with the NYPBoS for several years and was selected from their numbers to play with Carlos Núñez at the Ortigueira Music Festival, Spain
- 2010 - All Ireland Open Piobaireachd Champion
- 2009 - The Young Player of the Year
- 2008 - The Highlands and Islands Young Piper of the Year
- 2007 - Kintyre Piobaireachd Champion
- 2006 - Juvenile Ulster Champion